So, you’ve made the decision, you're going through with it and filing for bankruptcy in Nebraska. That alone can be tough, and we applaud you for making the right financial choice for you and your family. Still, it can be difficult to understand the proper steps to take once you’ve made that decision.
It for this exact reason that our experienced Lincoln bankruptcy attorney put together this helpful list of three things you should do after filing for bankruptcy.
3 Important Things to Do After Filing for Bankruptcy in Lincoln
Hire an Experienced Lincoln Bankruptcy Attorney
- Bankruptcy is complicated, so it’s better to get an experienced Lincoln bankruptcy attorney to handle the details for you. An attorney will know the right questions to ask and is far more likely to move your case through to discharge. A Linconln bankruptcy attorney will review your situation, discuss possible issues with your case, and will represent you when creditors come asking questions.
- We aim to make this process easy for you at Steffens Law. You don’t have to step away from work or take important time away from your family to file with us. All you need to do is call, answer a few questions, and we’ll take care of the rest!
Stop Paying Your Debts
- After you’ve decided to file, you no longer need to make payments on your credit cards and unsecured debts.
- Take a look at what you might be giving up in the bankruptcy: Your car? Your furniture? You can stop making payments on these as well!
- Since these debts will be erased after filing, you’ll be throwing your hard-earned money away if you keep paying on them!
Get All Your Paperwork in Order
- To make this process smoother, you’ll need to gather your financial paperwork together. These include:
- The Kelley Blue Book (Private Party) value of all your vehicles.
- Your account balances, including your 401(k), health savings account, bank accounts, and any other investment accounts.
- Your tax returns for the last two years.
- A list of your monthly expenses. (This can also help you make a budget moving forward!)
Contact Our Lincoln Bankruptcy Attorney for Assistance Today!
Making the decision and actually filing for bankruptcy in Nebraska is never easy, but the process doesn’t have to be difficult. At Steffens Law, our Lincoln bankruptcy attorney knows you’re doing the right thing for you and your family, and we’re here to guide you along this path into a brighter financial future. If you have any questions regarding a bankruptcy or are considering filing, contact our office online or give us a call at (308) 767-2061 to schedule a free consultation with our Lincoln bankruptcy attorney. We are more than happy to help!