It’s natural to feel embarrassed, frustrated, and even angry when you trip, slip, or fall. Even the most cautious among us has at least once stumbled over our own two feet and fallen down. Hopefully, all we hurt is our ego. But when an unsafe condition on another person’s business or property has caused you serious injury, you need the assistance of an experienced slip and fall lawyer in Omaha.
After all, you may very well have a claim against the responsible party for your medical care, wages lost, pain and suffering and future medical needs. Any of these can be incredibly expensive, often exceeding many thousands of dollars.
The following information is to help you understand why hiring the right Omaha slip and fall attorney is crucially important when you or a person you know has fallen and become seriously injured on another’s property. The legal team at Steffens Law Offices in Omaha has more than 25 years of experience helping seriously injured people just like you throughout Nebraska heal from their injuries and receive full compensation from those responsible. Read on to see how we can do the same for you.
When Should You Hire an Omaha Slip and Fall Lawyer?
The sooner the better. While the statute of limitations in Nebraska is four years from the time the accident occurred, lots of things can happen over that time period that can make your case more difficult to prove.
As with any type of personal injury that is caused by another person's negligence, after receiving medical attention, one of the absolute next things you should do is contact an experienced and proven slip and fall accident attorney to handle the responsibilities listed below.
5 Reasons Why You Should Hire a Slip and Fall Attorney in Omaha
Situations, where a person has suffered serious injury because of a dangerous condition on another’s business or property, can be tricky, to say the least. Most people don’t realize that a whole body of law exists in Nebraska expressly dedicated to these situations. It seems simple: you fell and suffered an injury because of a slippery floor, icy entrance, broken handrail, or some other poorly maintained condition. But the reality is far more complex.
Often even obtaining the right medical care for your injuries can be daunting, let alone your lost wages, pain and suffering, and future therapy needs. Here are just a few of the areas that our Omaha slip and fall lawyer will make all the difference:
1) Facing the Insurance Company: Insurance companies serve a useful purpose in modern society. Whether for a home, business, vehicle, or another purpose, they “insure” others against unforeseen losses, damages, or liability. Essentially, a business pays the insurance premiums, and the insurance company then guarantees to pay for losses from injury and other expenses a person might incur from an accident on the premises. If only wishing could make it this easy!
- In reality, insurance companies are profit machines that collect those premiums over years and years and invest the money for the benefit of shareholders and principles. When an injury claim is made against a business, the insurance company who wrote the business’ policy does everything it its power to keep those profits by avoiding liability.
- Make no mistake, the insurance company on the other side of your case will not see you as a poor, unfortunate, injured victim; rather, its adjusters, investigators, medical professionals, and attorneys are united in one goal - to deny, avoid or significantly reduce paying you compensation. The company has nearly unlimited resources and vast experience in this regard – think of it this way, if it wasn’t successful at avoiding paying damages to injured victims, it would probably not be in business long.
- Fortunately, we can help. The attorneys at Steffens Law Offices in Omaha know all the insurance company’s methods, we beat them at their games, and force them to pay our clients full compensation over and over again. We know which facts insurance companies look for, what arguments work best in different situations, and when necessary, whether to take them to court. The other side has experts working for them, shouldn’t you as well?
2) Obtaining Medical Care: This may seem like a “no brainer,” but time after time, people don’t fully appreciate how important obtaining full medical treatment is, both for their health, and for their case. Being seriously hurt is no picnic: the pain is intense, the bills are piling up, and you may be inclined to stop treatment or therapy to get back to work. After all, the rent or mortgage doesn’t pay for itself, right? But the truth is that if you don’t obtain all the medical care you need, in the long run, it may hurt you worse than a few months of missed work. Steffens Law Offices of Omaha will assist with all aspects of your medical treatment plan. Not only can we ensure that you receive the best and most comprehensive care, but we will negotiate with your medical providers directly so that you pay less for it than you otherwise would.
3) Compensation for Wage Loss: When you are forced to miss work because of an injury, it can be frustrating. Steffens Law Offices in Omaha will help you calculate your wages lost, paid time off used or missed, vacation accrual, and other forms of employment related income that you lose related to your injury and recovery. We will work directly with your employer whenever possible to obtain necessary records and seek the correct documentation from your doctor or other medical professional to support your claim for lost income against the insurance company.
4) Legal Theory and Argument: Where did you fall? What caused the fall? Ice? Stairs? Broken concrete? An old slice of watermelon in the produce section? Who owned the property? How were your medical injuries? How long was the dangerous condition present? Did the business create the condition or was it merely aware? Was it a design defect, or an employee mistake? Answering these and a hundred other questions are critical to develop any injury case where a victim was hurt on another’s land or business.
- Choosing the right attorney or law firm with the experience necessary to not only advance the best arguments for liability, but also to anticipate those arguments the insurance company will likely make and then defeat them, is vital. With nearly one thousand personal injury cases settled for our clients, Steffens Law Offices and its attorneys have seen almost every situation imaginable in and around Omaha. Whether your case is resolved prior to litigation, in mediation, or at trial, Steffens Law Offices will gather the evidence necessary to make bulletproof legal arguments, and then use them to obtain full compensation for you.
5) Negotiation: After you reach maximum medical improvement and recover from your injuries, your attorney will be able to send a demand for compensation to the insurance company or other party responsible for your damages and begin to negotiate for your compensation. The insurance adjuster on the other side is a professional who knows how to poke holes in your claim and will work hard to reduce your recovery. Prior injuries, unclear liability, and lack of medical treatment or gaps in treatment can certainly impair the strength of your claim.
- The legal team at Steffens Law Offices in Omaha understands how to highlight the strengths of your matter and thereby advance the best demand possible for full compensation. Steffens Law has obtained significant cash compensation from every major insurance carrier in Nebraska and nationwide, so we know the ins and outs of negotiating with insurance companies.
- We will investigate all aspects of your case, including visiting the scene, examining every one of your medical records, and obtaining any law enforcement reports of the area or similar accidents at the location. None of these things are necessary or required, but we do them anyway to ensure you obtain maximum compensation for your injuries. This is the Steffens Law way.
How to Properly Document Your Injuries After a Slip, Trip or Fall
The Types of Compensation You Can Receive in a Slip and Fall Accident Lawsuit
Although no two cases are alike and every case will always present a unique set of facts and circumstances, the following list will provide an idea of the types of compensation you can expect to recover when negotiating a settlement for a slip and fall accident:
- Emergency Transport Bills
- Emergency Room Care
- Hospital Bills
- Surgery Expenses
- Lost Wages
- Pain and Suffering
- Future Medical Care
- Loss of Consortium
- Home Alterations
To best find out which of the above or other forms of compensation you may be entitled to, it’s best to contact the attorneys at Steffens Law Offices of Omaha. We will always pick up the phone and you can speak to an attorney free of charge, have your questions answered quickly, and gain a better understanding of the topics discussed above.
How to Find the Best Slip and Fall Lawyer in Omaha
Finding the best slip and fall lawyer in Omaha, NE, can be tricky, but it doesn't have to be. There are certain things you can do to ensure the process goes smoothly.
- Turn to those you trust the most. Friends and family recommendations are a great place to start. After all, if someone you trust had a good (or bad) experience with an attorney, hearing it from them can help weed out some of the better options.
- Read reviews. After turning to friends and family, the next thing you should do is read actual reviews from previous clients. While an attorney's website likely has some hand-chosen reviews, digging into a firm's Google My Business profile will give you an uncurated list from actual sources.
- Do some internet digging. Most reputable attorneys have either been recognized with some awards or accolades. or at the very least, have legal profiles across the world wide web that show experience or have referrals from other attorneys. Websites like AVVO, SuperLaweyrs and Justia can be a major help when looking for the best slip and fall attorney in Omaha.
- Schedule a free consultation. Not only do most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis (meaning they don't get paid unless you get paid), but almost all of them will offer a free consultation. This is a great time to ask lots of questions and get to know an attorney. After all, feeling comfortable with the person representing you can have a major impact.
Call, Email, or Visit Steffens Law Offices today for a Free Case Evaluation
Our Omaha slip and fall accident attorney is ready to speak to you right now about all aspects of your case. We'll listen to you and treat you like family. If we agree to work together, our team will represent you without any charge until we settle your case. If you prefer, we will come to you to spend the necessary time to meet you in person and learn about your situation. Our attorneys were born to fight the insurance companies and are ready to win. No matter where you were injured or who might be responsible, Steffens Law Offices will not rest until you receive full compensation for all you have lost.
Steffens Law Offices – We’ll Treat You Like Family – 308-872-8327