We’re sorry you were injured in an accident. That process itself can seem isolating and lonely, especially when it seems like others don’t understand what you’re going through. It may seem natural to reach out on social media and to alert friends and acquaintances of your injuries and your situation, but, sadly, that’s not going to help. In fact, according to our experienced Lincoln personal injury attorney, it could cause you further injury. Keep reading below to find out how.
How Social Media Can Hurt Your Personal Injury Case
1) The other guy’s insurance adjuster is watching you.
- Your social media posts are not at all private.
- Their insurance adjuster is looking for anything and everything to wreck your claim. Anything you post, they can spin in their favor.
2) You have to live with whatever you post.
- You’re likely to be angry and say things out of an emotional response. These feelings may naturally cause you to embellish facts.
- Even if the facts are right, saying something in the wrong tone or using foul language will hurt your claim.
- Even if you regret posting it, you can’t erase it later. If someone saw it, it’s there forever.
Insurance companies scour your social feeds for ways to humiliate and embarrass our clients. Even posts you think are innocent or jokes between friends can be twisted into something used against you, even things you say on your friends’ social media.
What You Should Do With Social Media After an Accident
- Be mindful of who you “friend.”
- Update your privacy settings. Our Lincoln personal injury attorneys notes that you should make yourself invisible to others by removing yourself from searches. You can change this to “only friends” on Facebook.
- Consider taking down or deactivating your Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and all other social media accounts. (Do not delete any posts, since this will jeopardize your case!)
- Remain silent. Instead, look at what the other driver posted.
Contact Our Lincoln Personal Injury Attorney for Help With Your Case
Don’t hurt yourself again by posting about your injuries. If you’ve been injured in an accident and are wondering what to do or what measures you should take, give our Lincoln personal injury attorney a call today at (308) 872-8327 or contact our office online and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
Our Lincoln personal injury attorney at Steffens Law Office will answer your questions and give you the tools you need to win this case.