One of the most common questions we get in personal injury cases is whether or not you should speak to the other driver's insurance company after being in a car accident in Nebraska. In short, no, you shouldn't. At least, don’t do it without counsel and proper guidance. It can seriously hurt your case if you go into an interview blind. Remember—the other driver’s insurance company is looking for anything to deny fault and make you pay for the damages. You’ll have to be careful about what you say, which is why it’s best to have an experienced personal injury attorney advise you on the proper steps to take.
Why You Should Not Talk to the Other Driver's Insurance
The insurance adjuster you’ll speak with is trained to catch you off guard, and find a reason to deny or replace your claim. Keep in mind:
- The adjuster will be well-prepared for the interview. You’ll have had no documents to study or any kind of preparation beforehand.
- The adjustor will have the accident report in front of them. That’s something you may have no access to.
- Your interviewer is going in with knowledge of what to say and is trained to ask questions that are specifically designed to wreck your claim. A neutral-sounding question may have disastrous implications if you don’t give the correct answer in the right way.
- They’re going to record you, so any mistakes will be documented as evidence against you.
- They’re going to contact you at a random time, which could be at any time of the day or evening. Their intention is to catch you off-guard and unprepared.
So, What Should You Do Then?
The best option is to simply decline the interview and tell the insurance adjustor you’re hiring a personal injury attorney. Don’t worry, this isn’t going to hurt your claim.
- Calmly tell the insurance adjustor you’d like your personal injury attorney present during the interview.
- Make sure to get the adjustor’s name and contact information and tell him or her your personal injury attorney will get in touch with them later.
Don’t Be Afraid to Stand Up for Your Rights and Receive the Treatment You Deserve
You‘re an accident victim who has been injured. You need to be compensated for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages. You owe it to yourself to protect your claim.
- We don’t want you to shoot yourself in the foot by trying to do this yourself. Most people are skilled in other trades and simply have no training in how to navigate a complicated insurance claim.
- An experienced personal injury attorney will help you prepare for the interview.
- You won’t get a second chance to accurately record your statement.
Contact Our Experienced Nebraska Personal Injury Attorney for Help Today!
Our personal injury attorneys at Steffen’s Law are prepared to assist you with your upcoming interview. Please contact our firm online or give us a call at (308) 872–8327 so we can help provide you with the result you deserve.