We’re so sorry that you have lost a loved one in an accident. There’s no greater sorrow in life than suddenly losing someone who had many joyful years left, and our prayers are with you. Filing a wrongful death lawsuit might be the furthest thing from your mind as you and your family are going through this grieving process. This may make even thinking about going through a legal process confusing, difficult, and painful.
What is the Statute of Limitations on Filing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Nebraska?
Fortunately, you won’t have to file a wrongful death lawsuit immediately, but you’ll need to do it within two years of the decedent’s passing. Our Nebraska wrongful death attorney know that no amount of money can make up for your loved one’s life. Still, if your loved one was killed in an accident caused by another’s negligence or wrongdoing, you deserve to at least be relieved of the financial burden of their passing. That means filing a wrongful death lawsuit in Nebraska as soon as you’re able (either with the other driver’s insurance carrier, or in court).
What is the Process for Filing a Wrongful Death Claim?
The process for filing a wrongful death claim can be complicated, and no one wants to sift through procedures and legal jargon while being reminded of why they’re filing the claim to begin with. Don’t do this alone – get help from our experienced and compassionate Nebraska wrongful death attorneys.
Here’s some questions we can answer for you before undertaking this process:
- What does it mean to “file” a claim?
- Submit a claim for damages to the negligent driver’s insurance company; or
- File a wrongful death lawsuit in the correct county court — the county in which the decedent died.
- What does the two-year limit mean?
- It means you must either settle the claim completely, or file it in court before this point. Any wrongful death lawsuit in Nebraska filed after two years will be considered void.
- Before the two-year mark, your claim must be either:
- Settled (finalized with the compensation in hand), or;
- Filed in the correct county court. Serving the lawsuit to the negligent defendant may occur later.
Our Experienced and Compassionate Nebraska Wrongful Death Attorneys Are Here to Help!
We know this process isn’t easy, and thinking about filing a wrongful death lawsuit can seem overwhelming as you and your family are still processing this loss. That’s why we’re here to help you. Our Nebraska wrongful death attorneys at Steffens Law are compassionate, knowledgeable, and eager to help. You can take the “legal burden” off your shoulders, and put in in our experienced hands. Allowing yourself the space and time you need to heal.
Please, don’t allow the negligent actions of another to hurt you and your family a second time – in the legal process. For any questions or to schedule a confidential consultation with one of our Nebraska wrongful death attorneys, contact our office online or reach out to us by phone at (308) 872-8327.