Injuries are a part of life. No matter who you are, where you live or what you do, the risk of injury is ever-present. Fortunately, the human body has an amazing ability for self-healing. Minor bumps and bruises, small cuts, and scrapes – these small injuries usually take care of themselves. But if you or someone you know has been seriously injured, through the fault or negligence of someone else, it’s important to receive medical assistance first, and then obtain the services of an experienced Omaha personal injury lawyer to make sure you receive fair compensation.
Small fender benders on the road or other accidents without serious harm to a person or property will not usually require much if any, assistance. But it’s when significant injuries occur due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness, you need a legal professional.
Below, we discuss everything you need to know about finding and hiring the right personal injury attorney in Omaha for your specific accident needs.
What is a Personal Injury Attorney?
First and foremost, a personal injury lawyer is a type of attorney, professionally licensed by the state of Nebraska to practice law on behalf of the state, its residents, or businesses. There are currently more than two-thousand attorneys practicing various types of law in the Omaha area.
PI attorneys serve a vital role in our society: they are highly trained professionals who stand for justice, truth, and support tenets of fairness in the judicial system. While most of us will have limited contact with the justice system and courts in general, when necessary, attorneys supply the conduit for access to the courts, guarantors of our rights under the U.S. Constitution, and protect us from potential governmental overreach.
An injury lawyer is bound by oath to adhere to and uphold the laws of Nebraska. They are also officers of the court. They are bound to tell the truth, to not make misleading statements, and to be zealous advocates for their clients.
How Does an Attorney Decide to Become a Personal Injury Lawyer?
With a couple of exceptions, once licensed, attorneys may choose to practice in any legal area they wish and are limited only by their desire and ability to excel. Personal injury, although very well known, is simply another way of expressing the body of law known as tort law, that is, those laws which exist to protect people from harm and for the breach of which the law supplies a remedy, usually in the form of money damages.
Most personal injury lawyers tend to focus their practice on what is known as negligence. Negligence is a tort legal concept meaning that a person caused injury to another by not exercising the due care and judgement a person should in reasonable circumstances.
An Example of Negligence in an Injury Case
A person is distracted by texting a friend while driving a car, and because they weren’t paying attention to the roadway and to other vehicles, accidently collides with another vehicle, causing the other driver to suffer injury.
In the example above, the offending driver was likely driving negligently, and since their negligence caused another person injury, will likely be liable to the injured party for the cost of necessary medical care and repairing car repairs. Simple right? The reality is usually far more complicated.
Negligence law and other relevant legal theories which exist can be incredibly complex. Just the theory of negligence alone has five elements and these in turn have dozens of subparts. There are many defenses which exist for each element and even then, defenses for the defenses! Finally, each situation presents a unique set of facts which can and usually do significantly alter whether a person was or was not negligent in order to find liability and obtain an eventual settlement can be incredibly difficult.
Therefore, if you or someone you know and care about have been injured seriously through the actions of another person or business, it will serve you well to find the best Personal Injury Lawyer you can.
Why Hire an Omaha Personal Injury Lawyer?
As mentioned above, if you were involved in a minor fender bender with no injury and slight property damage, it’s probably best to handle the matter on your own: simply exchange insurance and contact information, file a claim with your, or the other driver’s, insurance company, and go about having your vehicle repaired with minimal disruption to your life.
However, when serious life-changing injuries happen to you, whether or not the responsible party is clearly understood, it’s vital to engage with a local personal injury lawyer in Omaha to help you. Why? Here are just a few of the many good reasons:
- Expertise. The best personal injury lawyer is an absolute expert in their field. They will learn your facts and select the right legal theories of liability to advance your case in the best and most expedient way possible.
- Good advice. They are excellent listeners, confidants, and counselors. An experienced injury attorney will advise you with regard to all aspects of your case from repairing your property, to receiving medical care, and of course with respect to advising you about settlement prospects.
- Familiarity. Local Omaha injury attorneys know the area where you were hurt: was it a busy intersection or a storefront? Familiarity with the site of injury can help with understanding why the accident happened and who might be responsible.
- Knowledgeable. Finally, once a settlement offer is obtained from the person responsible or their insurance company, you should expect help from your personal injury lawyer deciding whether to accept it. After all, the responsible party will only pay you once, so it pays to know whether it fairly compensates you for all you’ve been through and is therefore reasonable.
When to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer in Omaha
This is an important point that cannot be overemphasized: if you are suffering from a significant injury caused by another person or company, hire a competent personal injury lawyer or firm immediately. At Steffens Law, our Omaha personal injury lawyer will charge no upfront fees and will want to be involved as early as possible. We will even speak to you and discuss your case for free and without any obligation whatsoever.
Seeking excellent legal representation for your injury claim early on has many benefits. Here are three of the big ones:
- Your lawyer will be able to collect evidence from the accident scene, from the police department, from witnesses, and from you. Memories of the events will fade with time, so for this reason it’s crucial to hire the best Omaha personal injury you can as early as possible.
- Your lawyer will also be better able to protect you from the adverse insurance company’s attempts to destroy your case. Often the responsible party’s insurance company will contact you, record you, and may even offer a low-ball settlement just to entice you to sign away all of your rights. Don’t fall for this and don't talk to them.
- A good and experienced injury attorney in Omaha will handle your medical bills and paperwork. Imagine undergoing x-rays, scans, surgery, and therapy. Our team at Steffens Law Offices will fill out medical claims, coordinate billing, and even negotiate the costs of medical care with your providers.
You’ll likely pay the same whether you hire the lawyer early or late in the case, so it just makes sense to engage one as soon as possible after your accident.
How Much Does an Injury Attorney Charge?
A personal injury attorney works on what is known as a contingency basis. This means simply that your attorney doesn’t earn anything unless you receive a settlement. If your case does not settle or win at trial, your attorney makes zero. This is amazing because it guarantees that you and your lawyer share the same goal: achieving full compensation for your injuries, pain, and other damages.
The easiest way to find out how a lawyer gets paid or what they would charge for representing you is simply to ask them. The best attorneys in Omaha should have no problem sending you a copy of their client agreement. The agreement should lay out the nature and scope of their representation, the percentage the lawyer or firm charges, and whether costs are included or separate.
Steffens Law Offices in Omaha has a client agreement written in plain, easy-to-understand language that includes all material terms and any of their attorneys would be happy to discuss it with you prior to you hiring the firm to represent you.
How to Find the Best Personal Injury Lawyer in Omaha
The easiest way to find the best personal injury lawyer in Omaha is to ask a friend or relative. As mentioned above, injuries are a part of life, and although serious harm is rare, people remember good lawyers who have helped them. You can also check a firm's website for testimonials from past clients, visit the Nebraska bar website for a referral, or visit reputable third-party review sites to find the right personal injury lawyer for you in Omaha or the surrounding areas. Our firm's Google My Business profile is another great place to see reviews and can help you make a judgment call.
How to Choose an Omaha Personal Injury Attorney
This can be a subjective choice: the right personal injury lawyer for you may not be for someone else. Most people can agree, however, that a lawyer or firm that is accessible, competent, experienced, and passionate about the work they do will be a great choice. You may also wish to find a lawyer who is local to you, has a great reputation in the community in which you live, answers the phone or is easy to reach, and importantly, believes in your case.
Other good questions to ask during a consultation with potential attorneys:
- How long will your case likely take to resolve?
- What is the success record of the lawyer?
- How many years has the lawyer been practicing?
- How many clients has the lawyer represented with issues like yours?
Contact Our Injury Attorneys at Steffens Law Offices in Omaha
The lawyers at Steffens Law Offices in Omaha have helped hundreds of clients with all types of personal injuries obtain full compensation for their injuries.
Steffens Law Offices’ lawyers love what they do, love who they help, and work tirelessly for their clients. The Steffens Law Offices in Omaha employ an entire legal team of experienced professionals dedicated to obtaining the best settlement for you and your family, so you can focus on your health, your family, and rebuilding your life. Call our personal injury law firm in Omaha at 308-872-8327 today - We are available 24/7 and treat clients like family.