If you have been hurt in an accident, you are dealing not only with physical pain and the emotional trauma of your experience, but also the stress of figuring out what to do next. A skilled Lincoln personal injury lawyer can help relieve some of that stress. After all, trying to go about your daily life after being injured can be challenging enough, but paying medical bills, or even regular household bills after missing time at work can be overwhelming.
The whole situation feels unfair. You were just going about your business when someone else’s negligence caused you harm. You shouldn’t have to pay all these bills or deal with this pain. The person who hurt you should be responsible for making things right. Unfortunately, they aren’t likely to do that out of the goodness of their heart, and their insurance company will do everything they can to avoid paying you. You need help – you need a personal injury lawyer with the right experience to make sure the responsible party is held accountable.
What is a Personal Injury Lawyer?
A personal injury lawyer represents people who have been hurt in an accident. Accidents include (but are not limited to) car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, bike or pedestrian accidents as well as dog bite cases, slip and falls and any other case where a person is injured through the fault of another person.
At Steffens Law, our Lincoln personal injury lawyer has practiced in Nebraska for over 35 years and has seen every type of personal injury case imaginable.
What Does a Personal Injury Attorney Do?
A personal injury attorney first and foremost makes sure that their client receives quality medical treatment for their injuries. The case will be based upon the extent and severity of the injuries caused by the accident or negligent act of another. Therefore, it is important that treatment be sought first, and maximum medical improvement be achieved.
Next, injury attorneys work with health insurance companies and medical providers to reduce medical bill costs to save you money and stress.
Ultimately, an experienced personal injury attorney in Lincoln, NE, will fight to ensure that you receive the compensation that you deserve from the people responsible for your injuries (and their auto insurance). Without an attorney, you may be offered a settlement that doesn’t even begin to cover your lost wages, the medical bills that are piling up, or the pain you have suffered.
Why Do I Need a Personal Injury Lawyer in Lincoln?
Below are 6 main reasons why it's worth hiring an experienced personal injury lawyer in Lincoln.
- The Insurance Companies Have Their Own Attorneys
- Your Compensation Will Be Higher
- Your Medical Costs Will Be Lower
- You’ve Never Handled Something Like This Before
- You Need to Focus on Getting Better
- Take Some of the Stress Off
Should You Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer or Handle Your Own Claim?
There are some instances when you can handle your own claim and be better off, without splitting your small settlement with a lawyer. Those include cases where you have no injuries and you just need your car repaired, or cases where you have only minor injuries like a small bruise or a few small cuts that will heal with little scarring and minimal medical costs.
However, in most car accidents, truck accidents or other injury accidents where you have a significant injury and have racked up high medical bills, you should hire an experienced injury lawyer in Lincoln. The attorney will look out for your best interest and make sure you aren’t sent to collections, charged too much for your medical bills or forced into a low settlement that doesn’t cover your costs.
When Should I Hire an Injury Attorney?
If you are in a severe accident that has caused you great injury, you should hire an attorney as soon as you can. At Steffens Law Office, we offer a free consultation, and we can tell you then whether or not we can help add value to your claim.
Your first action should always be to seek medical attention and continue to follow your medical provider’s treatment plan. When you are able, give our Lincoln personal injury attorney a call or have someone you trust reach out to us. The sooner you have hired an attorney, the sooner you can have peace of mind that you will get the medical attention you need, and the compensation you deserve.
How to Find the Best Personal Injury Lawyer in Lincoln
There are several things you can do to ensure you are hiring the right personal injury lawyer for your case, including:
- 5-star Reviews – client reviews speak volumes, especially since the personal injury attorney is working with their client for months or years, fighting for them to get fair compensation. If at the resolution of the case, the client rates them high and recommends them to others – they likely enjoyed the service and the outcome
- Recommendations – if anyone you know has been in a similar situation, see if they have had a good experience and if they, or someone they know, would recommend a particular office.
- Experience Matters - You wouldn't hire an electrician to fix your HVAC, just like you wouldn't hire a divorce attorney to handle your injury case. Make sure that A) not only does the attorney you hire have experience with personal injury, but B) make sure they have experience with the type of accident you endured. Someone who has a ton of experience with car accidents but has never worked on a slip and fall case, shouldn't be hired for a slip and fall injury.
- Interview Potential Candidates - make sure that you are doing your homework, and not just going with the first attorney you see. Interview a couple candidates to get a feel for their personality and experience.
Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer During the Interview Process
- How much experience does the attorney have? Many general practice attorneys will take a personal injury case because they think the payoff will be big, but only a few have experience working on personal injury cases and know how to fight for your biggest settlement.
- What results have they achieved for other clients? Specifically, what results have they achieved for clients with cases similar to yours? This will help you to know if they have handled cases like yours before and how successful they have been at resolving them.
- What can they do for you? A personal injury lawyer should be able to give you a realistic idea of the next steps and whether or not they can add value to your case. They should also be able to give you information about a possible timeline for your case.
- How do they charge? You will want to know if they want a fee upfront, called a retainer, to represent you and investigate your case. Otherwise, they may work on a contingency fee basis, collecting from your settlement at the end of the case. It’s good to know this upfront.
What Does Our Lincoln Personal Injury Attorney Charge?
Many people think they simply cannot afford a personal injury attorney in Lincoln. They are out of work already and paying for medical bills that are astronomical. In reality, if you have a severe, life altering injury, you need to hire an attorney quickly and most injury specialists will wait until your case is completed before taking payment.
At Steffens Law Office, if we can’t get you the compensation that you deserve, you won’t have to pay us a cent. And we will never get more compensation than you do. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning that when we settle your claim, and you get paid, then and only then, will a percentage of that settlement come to us. This means you don’t pay anything up front or even during the process. Another added benefit is that we will negotiate with the insurance companies and get your medical bills reduced, so that you pay them less, and make more, in the end.
DO’s and DON’Ts Until You Speak With an Experienced Professional
- DO take photos of the accident and your injuries – documentation is important for your case
- DO get the names and contact information from any witnesses at the scene
- DO seek medical attention for your injuries and continue following your medical providers instructions
- DO keep track of all your medical appointments (doctor’s office visits, physical therapy, etc.)
- DO keep a pain diary to show evidence of the pain you have experienced (what type, location, frequency, etc.)
- DON’T speak with the other driver’s insurance company – they are trained to get you to say something they can use against you or try to pressure you to settle your claim without getting the compensation you deserve
- DON’T post on social media about your accident – it can be used against you and hurt your claim in the long run
- DON’T discontinue your medical treatment due to costs – there are options to get your bills paid and we can help you with that
Contact Our Injury Attorney in Lincoln for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has been injured due to no fault of your own, contact our Lincoln personal injury lawyer to set up a free consultation today. Our team is here and ready to help in any way we can. Fill out our online contact form or cal 308.767.2061 today!